Bathing is something that is part of our daily routine to make us refresh and relaxed. Along with this, it is that time of our day where you are dreaming in your thoughts, imagination, and maybe planning some crucial things. So, if you are going to do such a great deal, then it should be the most comfortable place. Isn’t it? So, what comes first at the name of bath is BATHTUB and with a series of questions- Bathtub size, color, brand, material, and many more. Here’s a solution to all the questions and doubts one might have.
What Points To Consider While Buying a Bathtub?
Types Of Bathtubs
Before getting into the material we should know about the variety of bathtubs available in the market. After all, we should figure out which type is suitable for us. So here’s the list of types of bathtubs available:
1. Generic Bathtub
Relating to the word GENERIC we can easily find out what sort of bathtub it is. It’s not about a single person, but the whole family and your pets too can use especially during summers. They are available in white color with a showerhead above. Sit down or stand up shower? And the answer is both. You can have both sit-down and stand up shower.
2. Soaking Bathtub
Just soak in – your body completely in and you completely in your thoughts. This is what the Soaking bathtub is all about. Much deeper and wide compared to generic bathtubs. Fits according to the size you want and available in different shapes.
3. Walk-In Bathtub
When it comes to walk-in bathtubs, it’s just about convenience and necessity. It is best suited for senior citizens and people with physical disabilities. Rather than having to step over a two-foot side of a bathtub, a walk-in bathtub is easily reached by a level surface. Though, walk-in bathtubs are somewhat expensive compared to the others in the category but most suitable for senior citizens in the house.
4. WhirlPool And Air Tubs
Do you feel stressed all day? Are you a massage person? If yes, then these are the best tubs for you. The warm sensation of pulsating water jet massaging and caressing every part of your body is all that we want after a long hectic day. The only difference between the whirlpool and air tubs is that in whirlpool tubs, there is the splashing of water from strategically placed jets. Whereas in air tubs as defined by name air is splashed, which makes it less concentrated. These tubs are beneficial if you have muscle pain or soreness. Though a bit expensive but worthy of spending as nothing is more important than the relaxation we may enjoy.
5. Combination Tubs
Are you a bit confused after looking up for these many varieties of bathtubs?
And not able to come to any conclusion. Then combination bathtubs may attract you and may make your choice a bit easier. Combination bathtubs are a combination of all the listed above categories including jets, complete soaking, sit up and stand up shower as well.
6. Bathtub Shape
- Is your bathing tub comfortable enough?: If not, then it is time to change the shape of your bathing tub. Comfortability depends on the shape and quality of the bathing tubs that match your expectations. In the market, the ovals and round bathing tubs are modern ones while the rectangular ones look traditional but loved by many people.
7. Bathtub Weight
You have to check your bathroom floor is ready to handle the new bathtub weight or not. As the bathtubs are difficult to shift and once you install them, only the plumber can change the position. The professional versions of bathtubs are perfect in size, weight, and height as well.
8. Surroundings Of Your Bathtub
How many walls are around your bathing tub? If there are three walls then, there are fewer options to make changes. And, if you have only one wall, then it helps you to expand. You can install the sanitary accessories with it. IF your choice is no walls at surrounding then, get a freestanding bathtub that is portable anywhere in the bathroom.
But freestanding bathtubs require safer and not suitable for small bathrooms.
9. Bathtub Height and Depth
Bath Tub height must be 20 to 24 inches to give a pool experience. Also, the deeper bathtubs will allow soaking till 18 to 22 inches deep. These values are the generalized ideas of various bathing tubs.
10. Bathtubs Comfortable With Faucets and Fixtures
Do you want a shower along with the bathtub?
It is possible to have a shower above your by upgrading your bathroom with faucets, knobs, and drains. You can use new-style components to choose the fixtures.
11. Bathtub Materials
Once we are clear with our choice of the bathtub, the next step is to look up for the material of bathtubs. As spending once, they should be worthy of the cost we will spend. So, here’s the list of the materials available in bathtubs with their pros and cons:
- Procelain Enameled Steel: A common and inexpensive option is constructed of steel sheeting coated with porcelain enamel. This type of tub is heavier than the acrylic or fiberglass tubs but much lighter than the old iron cast bathtubs. They are affordable, durable, easy to clean, available in a standard size, and lightweight. But the surface can chip easily and get rusted, limited variety of color and shapes, loses heat easily.
- Acrylic: Low cost, versatility, durability, and a wide range of colors make this material one of the most popular amongst the others. It is made from vacuum-formed acrylic sheets that are reinforced with fiberglass. It is a lightweight, affordable, wide variety of color and shapes, durable, repairable, and non-porous surfaces, easy to install. But they are scratch-prone if cleaned with abrasive cleaners, stress points to be reinforced properly at the time of installation.
- Fiberglass: This type of tub is made up of layers of surface coat, polyester resin, and fiberglass reinforcement. One of the affordable amongst all is cheaper than acrylic but less durable. They are lightweight, easy to install, inexpensive, easy to repair, a great option for shower/tub combination. The cons part is they are not durable, fewer color options, scratch-prone.
- Enameled Cast Iron: A classic bathtub made of molded iron coated with porcelain enamel is the most durable one. A higher-end option but the investment lasts longer. It comes with durability, affordable, easy to install, resistant to scratches and chipping, excellent heat retention, can be resurfaced. They are quite heavy.
- Cast Polymer: These bathtubs are made by molding together minerals, polymeric materials, and resins to form a solid material similar to solid-surface countertops with a finishing of gel- coating. They are affordable, stain-resistant, wide color availability, easy to clean. It can have brittle, unrepairable cracks due to gel coating.
12. Drain Placement
Plumbing is quite expensive when you are choosing to customize a bathtub. It is necessary to find a perfect place for draining. Adjust your pipes and displacement properly.
13. Installation Type
The next step is installation. Where to install and how much space to be kept. All the answers are herein:
- Drop-In: Often known as a platform or deck mounted installation method. It is done with the tub that requires to be dropped into a decked structure built into an enclosure. Mostly, whirlpool and air tubs are installed with this method as they require various plumbing connections.
- Aclove: the standard and most common methods of installation are Aclove or recessed installation. Generally used to put rectangular tubs adjacent with 3-walls in a place. Draining and plumbing positions will decide whether you will have a right hand or left-hand alcove installation.
- Free Standing: Freestanding is a liberal installation of bathtubs requiring no wall support like vintage and clawfoot bathtubs. One thing to keep in mind is a nearby draining point.
- Undermount:Undermount installation will have a supporting structure underneath. It is quite similar to the platform installation. The only difference is that undermount installation will have a structure underneath the tub.
Benefits Of Having Bathtubs In Hot and Cold Water
- It uplifts your mood and makes you feel energized. As per studies, it has been found that bathing in hot tubs reduces the feeling of depression and change your mood to positivity.
- After a tiring day, if you take a hot bath, it will help you to sleep better because at night your body temperatures drop automatically, which shows the increase in melatonin (sleeping hormone). When you took bath in the tub your body temperature increase, later increase the production of melatonin that prepares the body for good sleep.
- It reduces cramps and pain in the body. As you take hot water fermentation, if you go for bathing in a tub, it will improve the blood circulation in your body. You can add Epsom salt that is beneficial in joint pain of arthritis and muscular pain.
- Improves the heart by balancing the blood pressure of your body. The heat shows the blood flow and circulation throughout the body that act as a mini-workout
- You can burn calories similar to taking a walk.
- Bath Tubs cleans your body overall at the same time.
- Soothes your skin, it is advised to add essential oil in your water so that you can enjoy the aroma while relaxing.
Drawbacks Of Having a Bathtub
- It occupies a lot of space for your bathroom
- It requires a lot of water for bathing. Sometimes, misuse of water happens
- Old people and people having injuries will find it difficult to use the bathing tub
- Unsafe for kids if the bathtub has full of water
- Time and energy-consuming as you will use a heater or geyser to heat the water and requires time to fill the tank.
Frequently Asked Questions
Though the information provided above will help you to a great extent to find the best match for you but here are few questions which might have popped up.
With the growing urbanization, there is a shrink in the space keeping that in mind mostly all brands of bathtubs have a wide range of sizes to fit into your space.
There is nothing like that if you spend more than only you will get a quality product with a minimum cost too. There are several bathtubs available in the market that assures you quality at the best price.
You can use the bathroom cleaner and brush to scrub the area of the bathing tub. You have to be gentle on the surface and use water to rinse. Clean your bathing tub once in a week to maintain proper hygiene.
The bathing tub comes with proper safety features. You can fill the water tub and keep your hands in comfort on the resting platform. From the backside where you will be lying, it will not allow you to slip inside the water. You have to take care of children to have a safe and secure bathing experience.
Yes, you can install the handling shower near the bathing tub. You can mount that shower on the wall and use it.