An immersion water heater is one of the common heating appliances in India. Being compact and portable, it is the most travel-friendly option.
Although it is easy to use, it is better to use it cautiously to prevent accidents and injuries.
Here, in this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about an immersing heater and how to use it properly.
What is an Immersion Water Heater?
Let us first try to know about what is an immersion water heater. It is one of the most commonly used appliances for heating water. It takes just a few minutes to heat a bucket full of water.
If we look at its construction, it is similar to an electric iron. It features a heating element (coil) and a chord.
How Does it Work?
As the name says, you will need to immerse the heating element in the water to heat it. This heating element looks similar to a rod, and it is designed for immersing it in the liquid. The other part of the heater, i.e., the electric element should remain above the water surface.
What Are The Various Uses Of An Immersion Water Heater?
An immersion water heater is a multi-purpose appliance, and there are various benefits of using it. You can use this device for kitchen equipment, cooking ovens, pools, etc. You can also use them in other industries for various purposes.
Industrial Applications of Immersion Water Heater
Let us have a look at some of the industries where you can use this appliance:
- Wastewater Management
- Gas/Oil Industry
- Cement Curing
- Food Processing
- Chemical Industry
How To Use An Immersion Water Heater?
Immersion heaters often come in different watt powers. It is up to the user to choose the one that best suits their requirements. With various brands available, go for a product from a popular brand.
Here is a step-by-step process to use an immersion water heater the right way.
Take a bucket to fill it with the required amount of water. Now, take the immersion water heater. It has some markings on it indicating the maximum and minimum levels. The minimum level marking is an indication of the minimum amount of water you can use in the bucket. The maximum level marking indicates the maximum amount of water the appliance can heat.
Make sure that the water in the bucket is not adequate. That said, it should not be less than the minimum level or more than the maximum level. Having water lower than the minimum level may burn the bucket. Similarly, if the water is more than the maximum level mark, it can cause a short circuit. This may even result in the damage of the water heater’s electric circuit.
After filling the bucket with the required amount of water, immerse the heating rod in it. Make sure you place it vertically such that the electric circuit does not get in contact with the water.
Plugin the water heater into a nearby power outlet and switch it on It will take about five to ten minutes for the water to get heated.
After the water gets heated, switch off the heater and unplug it from the power outlet. Do not let the heater stay for a long time in the bucket, as it may damage the bucket.
After switching off the heater and unplugging it, carefully remove the heating rod from the bucket. It would be very hot, so place and far away from the reach. This avoids any unwanted incidents from taking place.
You can now use the heated water.
What Are The Safety Precautions You Need to Take When Using An Immersion Water Heater?
One has to be very careful when using any electric appliance. The same applies to the immersion water heater, as well. To help you with the same, we provide some precautions to follow when using this heater. Make sure you follow them diligently to prevent any accidents from occurring. Below are necessary steps to follow:
- Always keep the water level in the bucket below the maximum level. If it is beyond the maximum level, there are chances of a short circuit. Furthermore, it may lead to overheating of the bucket and cause unwanted incidents.
- Never leave the water heater unattended. Do not allow it to stay for a long time inside the bucket. You should know for how long to let the heating rod remain inside the bucket. This ensures the longevity of the appliance.
- The electric circuit is the most crucial part of the immersion water heater. It should not get in contact with the water. Make sure it is always dry and free from moisture. If not maintained properly, there are chances of getting damaged.
- Make sure there is proper grounding in the area where you are using the water heater. In case of improper grounding of the water, serious hazards may take place. It is essential to have a proper grounding to ensure maximum safety.
- See to it that the electric wiring of the heater is under the standards set by the authorities.
- Always immerse the rod in the bucket first before plugging it and switching it on.
- Never place anything near the water heater that tends to catch fire easily. Ensure that such items are beyond at a safer distance. Whenever you place such things within close proximity to the heater, they may catch fire and result in mishaps.
- Drum heaters are exclusively designed for indoor use. You should never use them outdoors and. Refrain from doing so to prevent the spilling.
- When using the heaters, make sure there is ample distance between the drum and the rod. See to it that they do not come in contact with each other. If they come in contact, the heating rod may overheat the drum. As a result, the drum may start melting.
- Keep your kids and pets out of reach from the water heater when in use.
- After you switch on the heater, do not come in contact with the water.
- After switching off the water heater, unplug it immediately. Now, be very careful and cautious when removing the rod from the water. Handle the rod carefully, as it will be too hot. Do not touch the water when removing the rod. In either case, there are chances of burning your hands.
- Never use metal buckets for the immersion water heater. There are higher chances of getting an electric shock when using metal buckets.
Immersion heaters are undoubtedly one of the most useful appliances for heating water. They are easy to use. However, one needs to be aware of the safety precautions when using a water heater. It is for the own safety of the individual that you should follow these measures.
Be attentive when using the heater, and do not leave it unattended. Switch it off immediately after use and handle the rod carefully when removing it from the water.
I hope this article covered about everything you need to know about using an immersion water heater the right way. If you still have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.
Feel free to share your inputs with us and let us know if you have any points to add. We would be happy to hear from you.
Stay healthy and stay safe!!!